A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a service that creates a secure connection between your device and the rest of the internet. It does by rerouting your traffic or connection to another network which is private and encrypted.
As a result, you remain anonymous to other internet users. Largely, most people use VPNs to facilitate maximum security and maximum privacy.
Below are possible reasons why you would opt to use a VPN with your iPhone, iPad or any iOS device.
Why use a VPN on an iOS device?
One, you can use a VPN if you want to ensure your browsing is private. Because you connect to the server of your VPN provider when using a VPN, no one will see your device or what you are browsing.
Second, a VPN allows you to protect your data from corporations with suspect data protection laws and from prying governments.
Third, if you live in a country such as China that censors internet access, then you can use a VPN to bypass the censorship. If, on the other hand, you do not live in such a country, but you travel either for pleasure or business, then you will still need a VPN to bypass the censorship for the few days you will be in the country.
Moreover, a VPN helps to secure public Wi-Fi connections and makes them safe to use. It does so by encrypting your data and rendering it useless to any malicious person who might be lurking around a public connection with the aim of intercepting the data.
Finally, a VPN bypasses any location-based restrictions on various services. When you connect to the internet through the server of another country, then you can access services that are normally not available outside that country. For example, you can access BBC iPlayer from the US or watch Netflix US from the UK.
How to configure your iPhone or iPad device with a VPN?
- First, subscribe to your VPN of choice.
- Follow this up by installing the app on your device.
- Open the app and sign in.
- After you sign in, your iPhone or iPad will prompt you for permission to add the VPN configuration to your device. Click Allow to facilitate automatic configuration.
- With the configuration complete, another prompt will ask for your Touch ID or passcode. The passcode or touch ID authorizes or permits you to change the VPN settings.
- Wait for your device to enable the VPN, and once that is done, you can connect to the VPN at will without having to launch the app again.
- To adjust any settings, for instance, location, launch Settings, click General and then VPN.
What to remember about your iOS VPN
Remember that for security purposes, Apple allows you to set up a VPN client that supports PPTP, L2TP, and IPSec. If you are having any issues with configuration, then you need to check which of the mentioned protocols your VPN provider is not using.
Also, bear in mind that when setting up the VPN on your MAC, the procedure will be a little different.
Finally, note that most good VPNs will allow a given number of devices for one account. That means you will not pay extra for all your devices. One account is sufficient.